Geoffrey of Anjou and the Plantagenet Kings of England
Geoffrey V of Anjou, Count of Anjou, "Le Bon" aka Geoffrey Plantagenet, b 24 Aug 1113, Anjou, France, d 7 Sep 1151, Eure-et-Loire, France. He md Matilda of Germany 22 May 1127, Le Mans, Sarthe, France, daughter of Henry I Beauclerc, King of England, and Matilda of Scotland.
His mistress was Adelaide of Angers, b abt 1113, of Angers, France. [see below]
Child of Geoffrey of Anjou and Matilda of Germany was:
Henry II Curtmantle, King of England, "Fitzempress", b 5 Mar 1132/33, d 6 Jul 1189, Chinon Castle, Indre-et-Louie, France. He md Eleanor of Aquitaine 18 May 1152, Bordeaux Cathedral, Bordeaux, France, daughter of William VIII of Poitou/X of Aquitaine, Duke of Aquitaine, Count of Poitou, and Eleanor de Chastellerault.
He also had a child by Ida de Toeni [a], a mistress. [see below]
Children of Henry II Curtmantle and Eleanor of Aquitaine were:
- Henry b 28 Feb 1155/56, Bermondsey Palace, Surrey, England, d 11 Jun 1183, Martel Castle, Turenne, France; md Margaret of France 21 Aug 1172, Neuborg, Normandy, France.
- Matilda/Maud b Jun 1156, Windsor Castle, Windsor, Berkshire, England, d 28 Jun 1189, Brunswick, Germany.
- Richard I, King of England, "the Lion-Hearted", b 8 Sep 1157, Beaumont Palace, Oxfordshire, England, d 6 Apr 1199, Limousin, France; md Berengaria of Navarre 12 May 1191.
- Geoffrey II b 23 Sep 1158, d 19 Aug 1186, Paris, France.
- Eleanor of England b 13 Oct 1162, Domfront, Normandy, France, d 25 Oct 1214, Burgos, Spain. She md Alfonso VIII, King of Castile, 22 Sep 1177, Burgos, Castile, Spain, son of Sancho III, King of Castile, and Blanche of Navarre.
- Joan b Oct 1165.
- John I Lackland b 24 Dec 1167.
John I Lackland, King of England, b 24 Dec 1167, Beaumont Palace, Oxfordshire, England, d 19 Oct 1216, Newark Castle, Nottinghamshire, England. He md Isabella d'Angouleme 24 Aug 1200, Gironde, France, daughter of Aymer (Taillefer) de Valence, Count of Angouleme and la Marche, and Alice de Courtenay. He also had at least two Mistresses. [see below]
Children of John I Lackland and Isabella d'Angouleme were:
- Henry III, King of England, "the Young", b 1 Oct 1207. See LINE A
- Richard of Cornwall b 5 Jan 1208/09. See LINE B
- Joan b 22 Jul 1210.
- Isabella b 1214, d 1 Dec 1241, Foggia, Naples, Italy.
- Eleanor b 1215, Winchester, Hampshire, England, d 13 Apr 1275, Loiret, France; md  William Marshal 23 Apr 1224,  Simon de Montfort 7 Jan 1238/39, Westminster Palace.
Henry III, King of England, "the Young", b 1 Oct 1207, Winchester Castle, Hampshire, England, d 16 Nov 1272, Westminster Palace, London, England. He md Eleanor of Provence 14 Jan 1235/36, Canterbury Cathedral, Kent, England, daughter of Raymond V Berenger, and Beatrix of Savoy.
Children of Henry III and Eleanor of Provence were:
- Edward I, King of England, b 17 Jun 1239. See LINE A1
- Margaret b 29 Sep 1240, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, England, d 26 Feb 1274/75, Cupar Castle, Fifeshire, Scotland; md Alexander III, King of Scotland, 26 Dec 1251, York Minster, England.
- Beatrice b 25 Jun 1242, Bordeaux, France, d 24 Mar 1274/75, London, England; md John II de Dreux, Earl of Richmond, 22 Jan 1259/60, St. Denis Abbey, Paris, France.
- Edmund Plantagenet, Earl of Lancaster and Leicester, b 16 Jan 1245/46. See LINE A2
- Richard abt 1247.
- John b abt 1250.
- William b abt 1252.
- Katherine b 25 Nov 1253.
- Henry b aft 1256.
Edward I, King of England, "Longshanks", b 17 Jun 1239, Westminster Palace, London, England, d 7 Jul 1307, Burgh-on-Sands, near Carlisle, Scotland. He md  Eleanor of Castile 18 Oct 1254, Burgos, Castile, Spain, daughter of Fernando III, King of Castile, and Joan de Dammartin, and  Marguerite of France bef 1300.
Children of Edward I and Eleanor of Castile were:
Edward II, King of England, b 25 Apr 1284, Caernarvon, Wales, d 21 Sep 1327, near Gloucester, England. He md Isabella of France 25 Jan 1307/08, daughter of Philip IV, King of France, "the Fair", and Jeanne of Navarre.
- Eleanor Plantagenet b 17 Jun 1264, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, England, d 12 Oct 1297; md  Alfonso III, King of Aragon, 15 Aug 1290, Westminster Abbey, London, England;  Henry III de Bar 20 Sep 1293, Champagne, France.
- John b 10 Jul 1266, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, England, d 3 Aug 1271.
- Henry b 13 Jul 1267, Windsor, Berkshire, England, d 14 Oct 1274, Surrey, England.
- Julian b 1271, Acre, Palestine, d 1271.
- Joan of Acre b 1272, Acre, Palestine, d 23 Apr 1307, Clare, Suffolk, England. She md  Sir Gilbert de Clare, 30 Apr 1290, Westminster Abbey, London, England, son of Richard de Clare and Maud de Lacy, and  Ralph de Monthermer Jan 1296/97.
- Alfonso b 24 Nov 1273, d 19 Aug 1284.
- Margaret b 11 Sep 1275, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, England, d 1318, Brussels, Belgium; md Jean II de Brabant, Duke of Brabant, 8 Jul 1290, Westminster Abbey, London, England.
- Berengaria b 1276, Kennington Palace, Surrey, England, d abt 1279.
- Mary b 11 Mar 1278/79, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, England, d bef 8 Jul 1332, Amesbury Abbey, Wiltshire, England.
- Isabella b 12 Mar 1279/80, d 1280.
- Alice b 12 Mar 1280/81, d 1291.
- Elizabeth Plantagenet b 7 Aug 1282, Rhuddlan Castle, Flintshire, Wales, d 5 May 1316, Essex, England. She md Sir Humphrey VIII de Bohun, Earl of Hereford and Essex, 14 Nov 1302, Westminster Abbey, London, England, son of Sir Humphrey VII de Bohun, Earl of Hereford and Essex, and Maud de Fiennes.
- Edward II, King of England b 25 Apr 1284.
- Beatrice b abt 1286, d bef 1295.
- Blanche b 1290, d 1290.
Child of Edward II and Isabella of France was:
Edward III, King of England, b 13 Nov 1312, Windsor, Berkshire, England, d 21 Jun 1377, York, Yorkshire, England. He md Philippa of Hainault 24 Jan 1327/28, York, Yorkshire, England, daughter of William III of Hainault, Count of Hainault and Holland, and Jeanne of Valois.
Children of Edward III and Philippa of Hainault were:
- Sir Lionel of Antwerp, Earl of Ulster, Duke of Clarence, b 29 Nov 1338. See LINE A1a
- Sir John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, b Mar 1340. See LINE A1b
- Sir Thomas of Woodstock, Duke of Gloucester, Knight of the Garter, b 7 Jan 1354/55, Oxfordshire, d abt 1397; md Alianore de Bohun abt 1376.
Sir Lionel of Antwerp, Earl of Ulster, Duke of
Clarence, b 29 Nov 1338, Antwerp, Belgium, d 7 Oct 1368, Alba, Italy. He md Elizabeth de Burgh 1352, daughter of Sir William de
Burgh, Earl of Ulster, and Maud de Lancaster.
Child of Lionel of Antwerp and Elizabeth de Burgh was:
Philippa Plantagenet b 16 Aug 1355. She md Sir Edmund de Mortimer, Earl of March, 1368, son of Sir Roger de Mortimer, Earl of March, and Philippa de Montagu.
Sir John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, Earl of Richmond, b Mar 1340, Ghent, Flanders, d Feb 1399, Leicester Castle, Leicestershire, England. He md  Blanche of Lancaster 19 May 1359,  Constance of Castile Jun 1371, and  Katherine
Roet [b] Jan 1396/97, daughter of Sir Payn Roet. She was b 1350, of Gascony, d 10 May 1403.
Child of John of Gaunt and Katherine Roet was:
Joan Beaufort b abt 1374, d 13 Nov 1440, Howden, Yorkshire, England. She md:
 Sir Robert de Ferrers bef 30 Sep 1390, son of Sir Robert de Ferrers andElizabeth Botiler, and
 Sir Ralph de Neville, Earl of Westmorland, Knight of the Garter, bef 29 Nov 1396, son of Sir John de Neville, Lord Neville, Knight of the Garter, and Maud de Percy.
Sir Edmund Plantagenet, Earl of Lancaster and Leicester, "Crouchback", b 16 Jan 1245/46, London, Middlesex, England, d 5 Jun 1296, Bayonne, France. He md Blanche of Artois bef 3 Feb 1275/76, Paris, France, daughter of Robert I d'Artois and Matilda de Brabant.
Children of Edmund Plantagenet and Blanche of Navarre were:
Sir Henry of Lancaster, Earl of Lancaster, b 1281, Grosmont Castle, Monmouthshire, Wales, d 22 Sep 1345 Monastery of Cannons, Leicestershire, England (of the plague). He md  Maud de Chaworth bef 2 Mar 1296/97, daughter of Sir Patrick de Chaworth and Isabel de Beauchamp. He md  Alix de Joinville.
- Sir Thomas Plantagenet, Earl of Lincoln, Steward of England, b 1276, of Lancaster, Lancashire, England, d 22 Mar 1322/23, Pontrefact, Yorkshire, England; md Alice de Lacy bef 28 Oct 1294.
- Sir Henry of Lancaster, Earl of Lancaster, b 1281.
Children of Henry of Lancaster and Maud de Chaworth were:
- Maud of Lancaster b abt 1303, Lancaster, Lancashire, England, d 5 May 1377, Campsey Abbey, Suffolk, England; md  Sir William de Burgh, Earl of Ulster, aft 1 May 1327, son of John de Burgh and Elizabeth de Clare; and  Ralph de Ufford bef 8 Aug 1343.
- Blanche Plantagenet b abt 1304, Bedfordshire, England, d abt 12 Jul 1380; md Thomas Wake bef 9 Oct 1316.
- Henry Grosmont b abt 1306, Grosmont Castle, Monmouthshire, Wales, d 24 Mar 1359/60, Leicestershire, England (of the plague); md Isabel de Beaumont abt 1335.
- Isabel Plantagenet b abt 1308, Grosmont Castle, Monmouthshire, Wales.
- Joan of Lancaster b abt 1310, Norfolk, England, d 7 Jul 1349, Yorkshire, England (of plague); md Sir John de Mowbray abt 28 Feb 1326/27.
- Eleanor de Lancaster b 1311, Grosmont Castle, Monmouthshire, Wales, d 11 Jan 1371/72, Arundel Castle, Sussex, England. She md:
 Sir John de Beaumont, Lord Beaumont, Earl of Buchan, Knight, bef Jun 1337, son of Henry de Beaumont, Lord Beaumont, Earl of Buchan, Knight, and Alice Comyn, and
 Sir Richard Fitz Alan, Earl of Arundel, 5 Feb 1344/45, Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, England, son of Sir Edmund Fitz Alan, Earl of Arundel, and Alice de Warenne.
- Mary Plantagenet b abt 1315, Tutbury Castle, Staffordshire, England, d 1 Sep 1362. She md Sir Henry de Percy Sep 1334, Staffordshire, England, son of Sir Henry de Percy, Lord Percy, and Idoine de Clifford.
Richard of Cornwall, Earl of Cornwall, b 5 Jan 1208/09, Winchester Castle, Hampshire, England, d 2 Apr 1272, Berkhamsted Castle, Hertfordshire, England. He md  Isabel Marshal 30 Mar 1231,  Sancha Berenger 22 Nov 1243, and  Beatrice de Fauquemont 16 Jun 1269. His mistress was Joan.
Child of Richard of Cornwall and Joan was:
Richard de Cornwall b abt 1252, Berkhamstead, Hertfordshire, England, d 1296, Berwick, Northumberland, England. He md Joan Fitz Alan abt 1280, daughter of Sir John Fitz Alan, Earl of Arundel, and Isabella de Mortimer.
Joan de Cornwall b abt 1286, Burford, Shropshire, England, d 1341. She md Sir John Howard, Knight, 1307, Wiggenhall, Norfolk, England, son of Sir William Howard and Alice Fitton.
Child of Richard de Cornwall and Joan Fitz Alan was:
John I Lackland also had a mistress, Daughter de Warenne, daughter of Sir Hamelin Plantagenet, Earl of Surrey and Warren, and Isabelle de Warenne.
Child of John I Lackland and Daughter de Warenne was:
Richard Fitz Roy b abt 1190, Kent, England, d 1264-65. He md Rohese de Dover 1214, daughter of Fulbert of Dover and Isabel de Briwere.
Children of Richard Fitz Roy and Rohese de Dover were:
John I Lackland also had a mistress, Clemence.
Child of John I Lackland and Clemence was:
- Joan Plantagenet b abt 1190, London, Middlesex, England, d 2 Feb 1236/37, Aberconwy, Caernarvonshire, Wales. She md Llewellyn-Fawr ap Iorwerth, Prince of North Wales, aft 16 Apr 1205, son of Iorwerth ap Owain, Prince of North Wales, and Marared verch Madog.
Child of Henry II Curtmantle and mistress Ida de Toeni was:
Child of Geoffrey of Anjou and mistress Adelaide of Angers was:
PLANTAGENT WAS NOT A SURNAME, certainly not for the Kings of England, although as a group they are often referred to as "Plantagenet Kings", much as the French Kings are identified as "capetian", although they never carried a "surname" of Capet. The name was "adopted" in later times, based upon the founder of this line, Geoffrey, Count of Anjou, who wore a feather in his cap and was, at times, referred to as Geoffrey Plantagenet. There are some individuals above who are shown with this "surname", but basically only those who are identified as such in Weis' Ancestral Roots.
a. Current thought suggests she may have been Ida de Toeni, a daughter of Ralph V de Toeni, and the same Ida who later married Roger Bigod, Earl of Norfolk and Magna Carta Surety. William Longespee, in one document refers to his mother "Countess Ida", and the only woman of this name and rank who fits the timeframe was Ida, wife of Earl Roger Bigod. Additionally, another piece of evidence, albeit circumstantial on its own, is that Ralph V de Toeni's mother was Ida of Hainault, which lends precedence for the use of this name in the Toeni family.
b. She bore four illegitimate children by John of Gaunt, born while he was married to Constance of Castile. He later married Katherine, then widow of Sir Hugh Swynford, to legitimate their children.
CP: Vol III[430-432]; Vol VII[378-387, 396-401, 410-416], Vol XII/2; AR: Line 1[24-28], Line 6[28-29], Line 17[27-30], Line 26[26-28], Line 27[26-27], Line 30[25-26], Line 110[26-27], Line 123[25-26], Line 218[27-28], Line 258[27-28]; G-MED: Robert Battle, and The Cornwall Family richard of cornwall.
Return to TOP of this page
Return to INDEX FOR PLANTAGENET
Return to MAIN INDEX
Return to HOME