le Strange, Lords of Blackmere
Roald Lestrange [a] b abt 1096, d bef 1158. He md Maud of Hunstanton abt 1122, daughter of Ralph of Hunstanton and Helewise de Plaiz. She was b abt 1105.
Child of Roald Lestrange and Maud of Hunstanton was:
John III Lestrange [d], Lord of Knockin, b abt 1194, of Chesawardine, Shropshire, England, d bef 26 May 1269, Knokyn, Shropshire, England. He md Lucy de Tregoz abt 1225, daughter of Robert I de Tregoz and Sibyl de Ewyas.
Children of John III le Strange and Lucy de Tregoz were:
Child of Robert le Strange and Eleanor de Whitchurch was:
Sir Fulk le Strange, Lord of Blackmere, b abt 1267, Longnor, Shropshire, England, d 23 Jan 1324/25. He md Eleanor Giffard abt 1296, daughter of Sir John Giffard, Lord Giffard, and Maud de Clifford.
John le Strange b 25 Jan 1305/06, Blackmere, Herefordshire, England, d 21 Jul 1349. He md Ankaret le Botiler abt 1320, daughter of Sir William le Botiler, Lord le Botiller, and Ela de Herdeburgh.
Child of John le Strange and Isabel/Mary Fitz Alan was:
a. As a tenant of Alan FitzFlaald in Mileham, Norfolk, he, with others, witnessed a charter of his lord before 1122 in favor of Castleacre Priory. He held Hunstanton where he made a grant of land which was later confirmed by John Lestrange IV. He married Maud, daughter of Ralph, son of Herlewin, or de Hunstanton, by Hawise, daughter of Hugh de Plaiz of Bernham, Suffolk. He died probably some time before 1158.
b. In 1158 he had a grant of land from the King in Ness, Shropshire, and in 1163-64, the land of his brother, Hamon, in Cheswardine had passed to him. In 1168-69, he had a grant from the King of pasture in Staffordshire. Before 1176 he gave the churches of Hunstanton and Cheswardine to Haughmond Abbey, and in 1171 had a grant to pay the men serving in the March of Wales. He died before Mich. 1178.
c. In 1196/97, he acquired rights in lands at Knockin in Shropshire, and in 1198 he took the place of his cousin, who was ill, in the King's service. In 1206 he had sent his Knights overseas. In 1212 he was returned as holding the manors of Ness and Cheswardine of the gift of King Henry II, and in 1216, the King committed to him the counties of Stafforshire and Salop during pleasure, and directed that he be treated as sheriff; also in that same year he was to have the manor of Kidderminster during pleasure. In Mar 1217/18, he was, with Hugh de Mortimer and Henry de Audley, directed to give safe conduct to the Magnates of North Wales, that they might do homage at Worcester, and in the same month the sheriff of Staffs and Shropshire was directed to give him aid from the counties for strengthening his castle at Knockin. In Aug 1226, he was granted a pardon for debts, and the vill of Wrockwardine for his maintenance during pleasure, for his services to the King and his father. He was deceased by 20 Jan 1233/34, when his son did homage.
d. He was serving in Poitou in 1214. In May 1231, the King granted to him and his heirs the manor of Wrockwardine, and in 1232, and frequenty thereafter, he was appointed to see that the truce with Llewelyn was observed on both sides. In 1235, he was Constable of Montgomery, and on 24 Oct 1236 he was appointed sheriff of Salop and Shropshire, as well as Justice of Chester in late 1240 to early 1241. He was summoned in Aug 1260 to Chester, in Oct 1261 to London, in Jan 1262/63 to Hereford, and in May to Worcester, all in connection with the disturbances in Wales. He is said to have married Lucy, daughter of Robert Tregoz.
CP: Vol X; Vol XII/1[347-354]; AR: Line 8[32-33], Line 29A; SGM: Douglas Richardson.
Return to TOP of this page
Return to INDEX FOR STRANGE
Return to MAIN INDEX
Return to HOME