Descendants of Charlemagne
Charlemagne, King of France, Holy Roman Emperor, b 2 Apr 747, d 28 Jan 813/14, Aix la Chapelle, France. He md Hildegarde abt 771, daughter of Gerold, Count in the Anglachau, and Emma. She was b 758, d 30 Apr 783. He also had a daughter by an unknown mistress.
Children of Charlemagne and Hildegarde were:
Child of Charlemagne and unknown mistress was:
- Louis I, Emperor, "the Fair", b Aug 778. See LINE A
- Pepin, King of Italy, b abt 781. See LINE B
Louis I, Emperor, "the Fair", b Aug 778, d 20 Jun 840. He md:
 Ermengarde of Hesbaye 794/95, daughter of Ingerman, Count of Hesbaye. She was b abt 778, d 3 Oct 818.
Children of Louis I and Ermengarde of Hesbaye were:
 Judith of Bavaria Feb 819, daughter of Welf I of Bavaria, Duke of Bavaria. She was b abt 805.
- Lothair I, King of Italy, Emperor, b 795.
- Daughter b abt 802. She md Gerard, Count of Auvergne, abt 818.
Lothair I, King of Italy, Emperor, b 795, d 29 Sep 855. He md Ermengarde of Tours 15 Oct 821, daughter of Hugh II, Count of Tours. She was b abt 802, d 20 Mar 851.
Lothair II, King of Lorraine, b 827, d 8 Aug 869. He md Waldrada 862. She was b abt 836, d 868.
Children of Lothair I and Ermengarde of Tours were:
Child of Lothair II and Waldrada was:
Bertha b 863, d 8 Mar 925. She md Theobald of Arles, Count of Arles, abt 879.
Children of Louis I and Judith of Bavaria were:
- Gisele b 820, d 1 Jul 874. She md Eberhard of Friuli, Margrave of Friuli, bef 840, son of Hunroch of Friuli, Margrave of Friuli, and Engeltrude of Paris.
- Charles II, Emperor, King of the Franks, "the Bald", b 13 Jun 828.
Charles II, Emperor, King of the Franks, "the Bald", b 13 Jun 828, Frankfort-am-Main, d 6 Oct 877. He md:
 Ermentrude of Orleans 14 Dec 842, daughter of Odo, Count of Orleans, and Engeltrude. She was b abt 830, d 6 Oct 869.
Children of Charles II and Ermentrude were:
 Richaut 25 Nov 870, daughter of Budwine, Count of Metz, and Richilda of Arles. She was b abt 855.
- Louis II, Emperor, King of the Franks, "the Stammerer", b 844.
- Judith b abt 846. She md Baldwin I, Count of Flanders, 862.
- Hersent b abt 858. She md Regnier I, Count of Hainault, abt 876, son of Giselbert, Count of Darnau, and Ermengarde of Lorraine.
Louis II of Provence, Emperor, King of the Franks, "the Stammerer", b 844, d 10 Apr 879, Compiegne, France.
 Engelberge abt 858. She was b abt 846.
Child of Louis II and Engelberge was:
 Adelaide of Paris abt 868. She was b abt 852, d aft 901.
- Ermengard b abt 860, d bef 2 Apr 897. She md Boso I, King of Provence, abt 874, son of Budwine, Count of Metz, and Richilda Arles.
Children of Louis II and Adelaide were:
Charles III, King of the Franks, "the Simple", b 17 Sep 879, d 7 Oct 929. He md Eadgifu 918. She was b abt 903.
Child of Charles III and Eadgifu was:
Louis IV, King of the Franks, d'Outre-Mer, b abt 919, d 10 Sep 954. He md Gerberga of Saxony 939/40, daughter of Henry I of Saxony, King of the Saxons, "the Fowler", and Mechtilde of Ringelheim.
Children of Louis IV and Gerberga of Saxony were:
Charles of Lower Lorraine, Duke of Lower Lorraine, b 953, d 994. He md Bonne of Ardennes abt 975, daughter of Godfrey II of Ardennes, Count of Verdun, and Matilda Billung.
- Mathilda of France b abt 943, d bet 981-992. She md Conrad I of Burgundy, King of Burgundy, abt 964, son of Rudolph II of Burgundy, King of Burgundy, and Bertha of Swabia.
- Charles of Lorraine, Duke of Lower Lorraine, b 953.
Children of Charles of Lower Lorraine and Bonne of Ardennes were:
Child of Charles II and Richaut was:
Bernhard I, King of Italy, b 797, prob Italy, d 17 Apr 818, Milan, Italy. He md Cunigunde abt 816. She was b abt 804, d abt 835.
Pepin I, King of Italy, b abt 781, prob Rome, Italy, d 8 Jul 810, Milan, Italy.
Natural child of Pepin I was:
Child of Bernhard I and Cunigunde was:
Pepin II, Count of Senlis, Peronne, and St. Quentin, b 817/18, d aft 840. The identity of his wife is not known.
Child of Pepin II was:
Herbert I, Count of Vermandois, Seigneur of Senlis, Peronne, and St. Quentin.
Aupals/Alpais b abt 778, d abt 852. She md Begue/Bogo, Count of Paris abt 792. Their daughter, Engeltrude of Paris md Hunroch of Friuli, Margrave of Friuli.
AR: Line 49[16-17], Line 50[13-17], Line 133, Line 140[13-16], Line 141B[15-17], Line 143[16-18], Line 144A[14-15], Line 145[15-17], Line 146[13-15], Line 148[13-20], Line 149[19-20], Line 155, Line 162, Line 191.
Return to TOP of this page
Return to INDEX FOR FRANCE/EARLY FRENCH KINGS-CHARLEMAGNE
Return to MAIN INDEX
Return to HOME