Counts of Burgundy and Kings of Castile and Leon
Otto William, Count of Burgundy, Macon, and Nevers, b abt 960, d 21 Sep 1026. He md Ermentrude de Roucy abt 980, daughter of Renaud Count of Rheims and Roucy, and Alberade of Lorraine.
Children of Otto William and Ermentrude de Roucy were:
Renaud I of Burgundy, Count of Burgundy, b 990, d 1057. He md Alice/Adelaide of
- Gerberge of Burgundy b abt 986. She md William III of Provence, Count of Provence, abt 1000, son of William II, Count of Provence, and Adelaide of Anjou.
- Renaud I of Burgundy, Count of Burgundy, b 990.
- Agnes of Macon/Burgundy b abt 993. She md William III of Poitou, Count of Poitou, Duke of Aquitaine, 1018, son of William II of Poitou, Count of Poitou, and Emma of Blois.
Normandy 1023, daughter of Richard II of Normandy, Duke of Normandy, and Judith of Brittany.
Child of of Renaud I of Burgundy and Alice/Adelaide of Normandy was:
William I of Burgundy, "the Great", Count of Burgundy, Count of Macon, b abt 1035, Bourgogne, France, d 12 Nov 1087, France. He md Stephanie de Longwy abt 1050, daughter of Adalbert II of Longwy, Count of Longwy, and Clemence de Foix. She was b abt 1035, d aft 1092.
Children of William I of Burgundy and Stephanie de Longwy were:
- Ermentrude of Burgundy b abt 1058, Bourgogne, France, d aft 8 Mar 1104/05. She md Thierry II, Count of Montbeliard and Bar-le-Duc, 1076, son of Louis of Montbeliard, Count of Montbeliard, and Sophia, Countess of Bar-le-Duc.
- Raymond of Burgundy b abt 1060. See LINE A
- Etienne I of Macon b abt 1062. See LINE B
- Maud/Matilda of Burgundy b 1065, Bourgogne, France, d 23 Mar 1101/02. She md Eudes I, Duke of Burgundy, "Borel", 1080, son of Henry of Burgundy and Sibylle of Barcelona.
- Gisele of Burgundy b abt 1068, Bourgogne, France, d 1133. She md:
 Humbert II, Count of Maurienne and Savoy, abt 1090.
 Rainer III, Margrave of Montferrat, aft 1103.
- Clemence of Burgundy b abt 1070, Bourgogne, France, d 1133; md Godfrey I of Brabant, Duke of Brabant, Count of Louvain.
Raymond of Burgundy, Count of Galicia, b abt 1060, of Bourgogne, France, d 26 Mar 1107, Leon, Spain. He md Urraca of Castile and Leon 1087, Toledo, Castile, Spain, daughter of Alfonso VI, King of Castile and Leon, and Constance of Burgundy.
Child of Raymond of Burgundy and Urraca of Castile and Leon was:
Alfonso VII, King of Castile and Leon, b 1103, Castile, Spain, d 21 Aug 1157, Aragon, Spain.
 Berenguela of Barcelona bef Jul 1124, Palencia, Leon, Spain, daughter of Raymond III Berenger, Count of Barcelona, and Dulce/Aldonza of Gevaudan.
Children of Alfonso VII and Berenguela of Barcelona were:
 Richilde of Poland Jul 1152, daughter of Vladislas II, King of Poland, and Agnes of Babenberg.
- Sancho III, King of Castile and Leon, b 1134. See LINE A1
- Fernando II, King of Leon, b 1137. See LINE A2
- Sancha/Beatrice of Castile b abt 1138, d 5 Aug 1177. She md Sancho VI, King of Navarre, the "Wise", 2 Jun 1153, son of Garcia VII, King of Navarre, and Marguerite de l'Aigle.
- Constance of Castile b abt 1140, d 4 Oct 1160. She md Louis VII, King of France, abt 1153, son of Louis VI, King of France, and Adelaide of Savoy.
Alfonso VIII, King of Castile, b 11 Nov 1155, Soria, Castile, Spain, d 6 Oct 1214, Avila, Castile, Spain. He md Eleanor of England 22 Sep 1177, Burgos, Castile, Spain, daughter of Henry II Curtmantle, King of England, and Eleanor of Aquitaine.
Sancho III, King of Castile, b 1134, Castile, Spain, d 31 Aug 1158, Toledo, Castile, Spain. He md Blanche of Navarre 4 Feb 1151, Spain, daughter of Garcia VII, King of Navarre, and Marguerite de l'Aigle.
Child of Sancho III and Blanche of Navarre was:
Children of Alfonso VIII and Eleanor Plantagenet were:
- Berengaria of Castile, b Aug 1181, Segovia, Castile, Spain, d 1244, Spain. She md Alfonso IX, King of Leon, abt 1190, son of Fernando II, King of Leon, and Urraca of Portugal.
- Urraca of Castile b 1185, Castile, Spain, d 1220; md Alfonso II, King of Portugal.
- Blanche of Castile b 4 Mar 1187/88, Castile, Spain, d 27 Nov 1252, Paris, France. She md Louis VIII, King of France, 23 May 1200, son of Philip II Augustus, King of France, and Isabella of Hainault.
Fernando II, King of Leon, b 1137. Leon, Spain, d 21 Jan 1187/88, Benavente, Italy. He md Urraca of Portugal, Jun 1165, daughter of Alfonso I (Henriquez), 1st King of Portugal, and Maud of Savoy.
Child of Fernando II and Uracca of Portugal was:
Alfonso IX, King of Leon, b 1166, Zamora, Leon, Spain, d 24 Sep 1230, Castile, Spain. He md Berengaria of Castile abt 1190, Valladolid, Spain, daughter of Alfonso VIII, King of Castile, and Eleanor of England.
Children of Alfonso IX and Berengaria of Castile were:
Fernando III, "the Saint", King of Castile, b 19 Aug 1201, Castile, Spain, d 30 May 1252, Seville, Spain. He md (1) Beatrice of Swabia 30 Nov 1219, and (2) Joan de Dammartin 1237, Burgos, Castile, Spain, daughter of Simon de Dammartin, Count of Aumale, and Marie of Ponthieu.
- Berengaria of Leon b 1199, Leon, Spain, d 12 Apr 1237. She md Jean de Brienne, King of Jerusalem, Emperor of Constantinople, 1223, son of Erard II, Count of
Brienne, and Agnes de Montfaucon.
- Fernando III, "the Saint", King of Castile, b 19 Aug 1201.
Child of Fernando III and Joan de Dammartin was:
Eleanor of Castile b abt 1244, Castile, Spain, d 24 Nov 1290, Lincolnshire, England. She md Edward I, King of England, 18 Oct 1254, Burgos, Castile, Spain, son of Henry III, King of England, and Eleanor of Provence.
Child of Alfonso VII and Richilde of Poland was:
- Sancha of Castile b 21 Sep 1154, Castile, Spain, d Nov 1208, Spain. She md Alfonso II, King of Aragon, 19 Jan 1174/75, Spain, son of Raymond Berenger IV, Marquis of Barcelona, and
Petronilla of Aragon.
Etienne I of Macon b abt 1062, d May 1102 (murdered). He md Beatrix abt 1090. She was b abt 1072, d aft 1102.
Children of Etienne I of Macon and Beatrix were:
- Renaud III of Burgundy, Count of Burgundy and Macon, b abt 1093. See LINE B1
- William III of Macon, Count of Macon and Auxonne, b abt 1097.See LINE B2
Renaud III of Burgundy, Count of Burgundy and Macon, b abt 1095, d abt 1249. He md Agatha, abt 1130, daughter of Simon of Lorraine, Duke of Lorraine.
Child of Renaud III of Burgundy and Agatha was:
Beatrix of Burgundy b abt 1138, d 15 Nov 1184/85. She md Frederick III, Emperor of Germany, Duke of Alsace and Swabia, 10 Jun 1156, son of Frederick II, Duke of Swabia, and Judith of Bavaria.
William III of Macon, Count of Macon and Auxonne, b abt 1097, d 27 Sep 1155. He md Ponce de Traves abt 1125. She was b abt 1103.
Children of William III of Macon and Ponce de Traves were:
- Gerard I de Macon, Count of Macon and Vienne, b abt 1132. See LINE B2a
- Etienne II of Auxonne, Count of Auxonne, b abt 1138. See LINE B2b
Gerard I de Macon, Count of Macon and Vienne, b abt 1132, d 15 Sep 1184. He md Maurette de Salins abt 1153. She was b abt 1135.
Child of Gerard I de Macon and Maurette de Salins was:
Beatrix de Macon b abt 1155, d 1230. She md Humbert III of Savoy, Count of
Savoy, abt 1172, son of Amadeo III of Savoy, Count of Savoy, and Maud/Matilda de Vienne.
Etienne II d'Auxonne, Count of Auxonne, b abt 1138, d aft 21 Jul 1173. He md Judith of Lorraine abt 1165, daughter of Matthew of Lorraine, Duke of Lorraine, and Bertha of Swabia.
Child of Etienne II d'Auxonne and Judith of Lorraine was:
Etienne III d'Auxonne, Count of Auxonne, b abt 1167, d 16 Mar 1241. He md  Beatrix de Thiers abt 1186 (divorced 1200), and  Agnes de Dreux bef 1212. Agnes de Dreux was b abt 1176.
Beatrix de Burgundy b abt 1205, d 11 Apr 1260. She md Simon de Joinville, Seneschal of Champagne abt 1218, son of Geoffroy IV de Joinville and Felicite de Brienne.
Child of Etienne III d'Auxonne and (prob) Agnes de Dreux was:
AR: Line 132[23-25], Line 113[24-28], Line 108, Line 144[22-23], Line 45, Line 101, Line 110, Line 114[25-28], Line 116[25-26], Line 133, SGM: Richard Borthwick [ref: Europaiche Stammtafeln, Vol II, 59-60, Vol VII, 6; Sword, Miter, and Cloister: Nobility and the Church of Burgundy 980-1198, Cornell Univ. Press, 1987].
Return to TOP of this page
Return to INDEX FOR BURGUNDY
Return to MAIN INDEX
Return to HOME