Tompkins of Providence and Little Compton, Rhode Island
Ralph Tompkins b abt 1585, of Edlesborough, Buckinghamshire, England. He md Katherine Foster abt 1608, Buckingamshire, England. She was b abt 1590, England.
Children of Ralph Tompkins and Katherine Foster were:
Nathaniel Tompkins b abt 1612, of Edlesborough, Buckinghamshire, England, and Providence, RI. The identity of his wife is not known.
- John Tompkins b 1610, England, d 23 Jun 1684; md  Margaret Goodman, Edlesborough, Buckinghamshire, England, and  Mary Read.
- Nathaniel Tompkins b abt 1612.
- Samuel Tompkins b 1613, d 1676; md Lettice Foster 11 Oct 1639.
- Micah Tompkins b abt 1615, d Newark, NJ; md Mary.
- Elizabeth Tompkins.
- Mary Tompkins b 1621, d 1656; md John Foster.
Child of Nathaniel Tompkins was:
Nathaniel Tompkins [a] b 1650, of Newport and Little Compton, Newport, RI, d bef 19 May 1724. He md Elizabeth Allen 15 Jan 1671, daughter of John Allen and Elizabeth Bacon.
Children of Nathaniel Tompkins and Elizabeth Allen were:
Elizabeth Tompkins b 1675. She md William Ladd 17 Feb 1696, Little Compton, Newport, RI, son of Joseph Ladd and Joanna.
- Elizabeth Tompkins b 1675.
- Nathaniel Tompkins b 31 Dec 1676, d 1748; md Elizabeth Ladd 1696.
- Mary Tompkins b 16 Sep 1677.
- Priscilla Tompkins b 24 Ma6 1679, d 11 Dec 1732; md Samuel Lyndon Jul 1703.
- Samuel Tompkins b 24 May 1681, Little Compton, Newport, RI, d May 1760; md Sarah Coe 24 Jan 1712, Little Compton, Newport, RI.
- Mercy Tompkins b 20 Oct 1685; md William Bowditch.
- Rebecca Tompkins b 1685.
- Sarah Tompkins md Benjamin Gifford.
- Robert Tompkins d bef 1724.
- Hannah Tompkins b 1689; md Timothy Gifford 18 Apr 1717, Little Compton, Newport, RI.
a. There is discrepancy in Wilbour's Little Compton Families in that he is stated to have died 15 Feb 1732, yet his will, which is shown, was proved 19 May 1724. In it he leaves son Nathaniel 15 pounds, son Samuel all lands not already given to him by deed, daughter Elizabeth, wife of Wiliam Ladd, a cow, daughter Mary Tompkins 30 shillings and a bed and 4 pounds borrowed by her, daughter Mercy, wife of William Bowditch, a ewe sheep, daughter Priscilla, wife of William Lyndon, a cow, daughter Sarah, wife of Benjamin Gifford, a cow, daughter Rebecca Tompkins, a cow and a bed, daughter Hannah, wife of Timothy Gifford, a cow, and to son Samuel's three sons, Joseph, John, and Christopher, any estate remaining.
LCF: Vol II, The Tompkins Family, pp 678-679.
Return to TOP of this page
Return to INDEX FOR CHURCH
Return to MAIN INDEX
Return to HOME