Cantelou of Aston Cantlow, Warwickshire, and Calne, |
William I de Cantelou, King's Steward, b abt 1160, of Aston Cantlow, Warwickshire, England, d 7 Apr 1239. He md Mesceline de Braci abt 1182, daughter of Audulf de Braci. She was b abt 1167.
Children of William I de Cantelou and Mesceline de Braci were:
William II de Cantelou [a], King's Steward, b abt 1185, of Aston Cantlow, Warwickshire, England, d 22 Feb 1250/51, Calne, Wiltshire, England. He md Millicent de Gournay abt 1218, daughter of Hugh V de Gournay, Seigneur of Gournai, and Juliane de Dammartin.
- William II de Cantelou b abt 1185.
- Daughter de Cantelou b abt 1190, of Aston Cantlow, Warwickshire, England. She md (poss/prob) Thurstan de Montfort abt 1204, son of Henry de Montfort.
- Walter de Cantelou, Bishop of Worcester, b abt 1192, of Aston Cantlow, Warwickshire, d 1266.
Children of William de Cantelou and Millicent de Gournay were:
Sir William III de Cantelou [b], Lord of Abergavenny, b abt 1220, of Calne, Wiltshire, and Aston Cantlow, Warwickshire, England, d 25 Sep 1254, Wiltshire, England. He md Eva de Braose aft 25 Jul 1238, daughter of William de Braose and Eva Marshal.
- Sir William III de Cantelou, Lord of Abergavenny, b abt 1220.
- Agnes de Cantelou b abt 1222, Calne, Wiltshire, England. She md Sir Robert de St. John abt 1238.
- Juliane de Cantelou b abt 1224, of Aston Cantlow, Warwickshire, England, d aft 6 Aug 1285. She md Sir Robert II de Tregoz, Lord of Ewyas Harold, abt 1238, son of Robert I de Tregoz and Sibyl de Ewyas.
Children of William de Cantelou and Eva de Braose were:
- Joan de Cantelou b abt 1242, of Calne, Wiltshire, England, d bef Jun 1271. She md Sir Henry de Hastings abt 1256, son of Sir Henry de Hastings and Ada de Huntingdon.
- Millicent de Cantelou b abt 1249, of Calne, Wiltshire, England, d bef 7 Jan 1298/99. She md Eudo la Zouche bef Oct 1273, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales, son of Roger la Zouche, Sheriff of Devonshire, and Margaret Biset.
a. On 25 July 1238, he obtained the wardship and marriage, together with the custody of Abergavenny and other lands, of Eva de Braose, and shortly thereafter, she was married to his son, William.
b. The only son of William de Cantelou and Eva de Braose was George de Cantelou, who died s.p. 18 Oct 1273, when his coheirs were found to be his sister, Millicent, then of full age and married to Eudo la Zouche, and his nephew, John de Hastings, son of his deceased sister Joan.
CP: Vol I, Vol XII/2; AR: Line 38, Line 66[29-30], Line 93A, Line 255; SGM: John Ravilious.
Return to TOP of this page
Return to INDEX FOR CANTELOU
Return to MAIN INDEX
Return to HOME