McFarland from Ireland to Pennsylvania and Rockingham, North Carolina
Robert McFarland [a] b abt 1675, prob Tyrone, Ireland, d 1749/50, Lancaster, PA. He md Janet abt 1703. She was b abt 1684.
Children of Robert McFarland and Janet were:
John McFarland b 1706/07, Ireland, d 1784/85, Bedford, VA. He md Mary Montgomery abt 1728, daughter of John Montgomery. She was b 1712, Scotland, d 1782, Bedford, VA.
- John McFarland b 1706/07.
- James McFarland b abt 1710, Ireland, d Feb 1752, Lancaster, PA; md Margaret Greer.
- Rachel McFarland b abt 1713, Ireland; md  John Wilkins,  John Ramsey, and  Gordon Howard.
- (poss.) Joseph McFarland b abt 1715, Ireland.
- Robert McFarland b abt 1717, Ireland; d bef 6 Feb 1798, Rockbridge, VA; md Esther.
- Rebecca McFarland b bef 14 Apr 1720, Philadelphia, PA; md  Andrew Mayes, and  Samuel McElhenny.
Children of John McFarland and Mary Montgomery were:
- Lieut. Robert McFarland b 7 Apr 1730, Lancaster, PA, d 1798, KY; md Martha.
- Nancy McFarland b 26 Nov 1731, Lancaster, PA; md Andrew Evans.
- James McFarland b 10 Feb 1732/33, Lancaster, PA, d abt Jul 1755 (killed by Indians), Augusta, VA.
- Rachel McFarland b 27 Mar 1737, Lancaster, PA, d 1790, Campbell, VA; md John Hunter 1758, Bedford, VA.
- John McFarland b 4 Feb 1739, Lancaster, PA, d 1809, Haywood, NC; md Mary Kinder.
- Arthur McFarland b 19 Jan 1741, Lancaster, PA, d young.
- Mary McFarland b 11 Feb 1743.
- Joseph McFarland b 30 Mar 1745, Lancaster, PA, d abt 1788, Montgomery, VA.
- Benjamin McFarland b 16 Apr 1747, VA, d 9 May 1823, Jefferson, KY; md Mary Blackburn 1777, Bedford, VA.
Mary McFarland b 11 Feb 1743, Lancaster, PA, d 20 May 1821, Madison, NC. She md James Hunter 13 Sep 1762, son of Alexander Hunter and Elizabeth Steele.
a. It is believed that Robert McFarland emigrated from Ireland to America in 1718/19, in one of the three early waves of Irish immigration. He settled in Lancaster, Pennsylvnia, where the baptism record of his last child is found: "Rebeckah daughter of Robert and Jennet McFarland" dated 14 Apr 1720, First Presbyterian Church of Philadelphia. Also recorded is the marriage of his second-eldest daughter, Rachel, to John Wilkins, in Donegal Township, Lancaster. Thus, it would appear that Robert and Janet came to America with their four (or possibly five) children sometime before the baptism, in America, of their last child.
McFarland Genealogy Home Page; The Pennsylvania Genealogical Magazine, Vol XII, p 199, Vol XIX, Baptisms 1701-1746, First Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, p 285.
Return to TOP of this page
Return to INDEX FOR MCFARLAND
Return to MAIN INDEX
Return to HOME