Gray of Plymouth, Massachusetts and Little Compton, Rhode Island
Edward Gray [a] b Apr 1623, prob Stapleford Tawney, England, d Jun 1681, Plymouth, MA. He md  Mary Winslow 16 Jan 1651, and  Dorothy Lettice 12 Dec 1665, daughter of Thomas Lettice and Ann. She was b abt 1645, MA.
Children of Edward Gray and Dorothy Lettice were:
Samuel Gray b 1682, d 23 Mar 1712, Little Compton, Newport, RI. He md Deborah Church 13 Jul 1699, Little Compton, Newport, RI, daughter of Joseph Church and Mary Tucker.
- Edward Gray b 6 Nov 1667, Plymouth, MA, d 1726, Tiverton, RI; md  Mary Smith and  Mary Manchester.
- Susanna Gray b 15 Oct 1668; md John Cole.
- Capt. Thomas Gray b 1669, d 5 Nov 1721, Little Compton, Newport, RI; md  Anna Little 3 Jul 1694, Boston, Suffolk, MA, and  Phebe Peckham.
- Rebecca Gray b abt 1672; md Ephraim Cole.
- Lydia Gray b abt 1675; md Caleb Loring.
- Anna Gray b abt 1677.
- Hannah Gray b abt 1679.
- Samuel Gray b 1782.
Children of Samuel Gray and Deborah Church were:
Lydia Gray b 16 Oct 1707, Little Compton, Newport, RI. She md Joseph Ladd 25 Aug 1731, Little Compton, Newport, RI, son of William Lad and Elizabeth Tompkins.
- Lieut. Samuel Church b 16 Apr 1700, Little Compton, Newport, RI, d 22 Apr 1764, Little Compton, Newport, RI; md Hannah Kent abt 1721.
- John Gray b 14 Apr 1701, d 14 Jan 1702.
- Dorothy Gray b 14 Jan 1704, Little Compton, Newport, RI.
- Joseph Gray b 20 Jan 1706, d 4 Jun 1706.
- Lydia Gray b 16 Oct 1707.
- Simeon Gray b 15 Dec 1709.
- Ignatius Gray b 18 Sep 1711, d 18 Jul 1712.
a. Edward Gray was a merchant and, according to family tradition, was baptised in April 1623 in Stapleford Tawney, England, and with his older brother, Thomas, was smuggled onboard the ship on which they came to America by people who were intriguing for their property. The oldest stone on Burial Hill in Plymouth is that of Edward Gray and. while it states he died at age 52, if we believe his date of baptism in England, he was actually age 58. His first wife, Mary, was the daughter of Mayflower passengers John and Mary (Chilton) Winslow.
LCF: The Church Family, pp 166-172.
Return to TOP of this page
Return to INDEX FOR GRAY
Return to MAIN INDEX
Return to HOME