Williams of Hertfordshire, England, and Providence, Rhode Island
Mark Williams [a] b abt 1540, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, England, d 1628, London, England. He md Agnes Audley 1561, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, daughter of William Audley and Joan. She was b abt 1544, Hertfordshire, England, d 14 Mar 1580/81, Hertfordshire, England.
Child of Mark Williams and Agnes Audley was:
James Williams [b] b abt 1562, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, d 7 Sep 1620, London, England. He md Alice Pemberton [c] 2 Jan 1596/97, daughter of Robert Pemberton and Catherine Stokes. She was b 18 Feb 1563/64, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, England, d 1 Aug 1634, London, England.
Children of James Williams and Alice Pemberton were:
Roger Williams b abt 1606, of St. Albans, Hertfordshire, and High Laver, Essex, England, d abt Feb 1683, Providence, RI. He md Mary Barnard 15 Dec 1629, Essex, England, daughter of Rev. Richard Barnard.
- Catherine Williams b abt 1598; md  Ralph Wightman, and  John Davies.
- Sidrach Williams b abt 1600.
- Robert Williams b abt 1603. (came to New England by 1644).
- Roger Williams b abt 1606.
Children of Roger Williams and Mary Barnard were:
Mary Williams b Aug 1633, Salem, Essex, MA, d 1681. She md John Sayles 1650/51, son of John Sayles and Philippa Soales.
- Mary Williams b Aug 1633, Salem, Essex, MA.
- Freeborn Williams b Oct 1635, Salem, Essex, MA; md  Thomas Hart abt 1661,  Gov. Walter Clarke 6 Mar 1683, Newport, RI.
- Providence Williams b Sep 1638, Providence, RI, d abt Jul 1686, Providence, RI.
- Mercy Williams b abt 15 Jul 1640, Providence, RI, d 19 Sep 1705, Providence, RI; md (1) Resolved Waterman, (2) Samuel Winsor 2 Jan 1676-7, Providence, RI.
- Daniel Williams b abt 15 Feb 1641, Providence, RI; md Rebecca Rhoades 2 Dec 1676, Providence, RI.
- Joseph Williams b Dec 1643, Providence, RI; md Lydia Olney 17 Dec 1669.
a. He is a likely candidate as father of James Williams, although this is not proven.
b. The will of James Williams, citizen and merchant tailor of London, dated 7 Sep 1620, proved 19 Nov 1621, names his wife Alice, and sons Sydrack, Robert, and Roger, and daughter Catherine Wrightman. Robert and Roger were referred to as presumably younger children, as James directs that Robert and Roger be paid a sum at age of four and twenty years. He appoints his wife, Alice Williams as executrix, and also appoints his brother-in-law, Roger Pemberton among the two overseers of his will. Alice's will, dated 1 Aug 1634, proved 26 Jan 1634/35, states her to be of St. Sepulchre without Newgate, London, and mentions "I give to my son Roger Williams now beyond the seas ten pounds yearly...". She also mentions her eldest son Sidrach, son Robert, and daughter Catherine, who had been widowed and remarried to John Davies.
c. She was sister of Robert Pemberton, Esq., who was the godfather of Roger Williams of Providence, and father of Ralph Pemberton, Mayor of St. Albans in Hertfordshire, and grandfather of Sir Francis Pemberton, Lord Chief Justice of England. The arms borne by the St. Albans Pembertons are identical to those of Northamptonshire, although the connection has not yet been established
NEHGS: NEHGR 97:172-176 Some Notes Upon the Family of Roger Williams, by G. Andrews Moriarty, April 1943, The Great Migration Begins, by Charles Robert Anderson, profile of Roger Williams; GL: Roger Williams of Providence, RI, by Bertha E. W. Anthony, 1949; Early New England Settlers, American Genealogies, p 244.
Return to TOP of this page
Return to INDEX FOR WILLIAMS
Return to MAIN INDEX
Return to HOME