Richard Pearce of Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island
Richard Pearce [a] b abt 1622, Essex, England, d 1678, Portsmouth, Newport, RI. He md Susannah Wright 5 May 1642, Waltham Abbey, Essex, England, daughter of John Wright and Mary Dell. She was bapt. 5 Aug 1627, Waltham Abbey, Essex, England, d 1678, Portsmouth, Newport, RI.
Children of Richard Pearce and Susannah Wright were:
- Richard Pearce b 3 Oct 1643; md Experience ____.
- Martha Pearce b 13 Sep 1645, d 24 Feb 1744; md Mahershallahasbaz Dyer.
- John Pearce b 8 Sep 1647, d 5 Dec 1707; md Mary Tallman.
- Giles Pearce b 23 Jul 1651, d 19 Nov 1698; md Elizabeth Hall.
- Susannah Pearce b 20 Nov 1652, d 24 Dec 1743; md George Brownell 4 Dec 1673.
- Mary Pearce b 6 May 1654, Portsmouth, Newport, RI, d 4 May 1736, Little Compton, Newport, RI. She md Thomas Brownell 1678, son of Thomas Brownell and Ann Bourne.
- Jeremiah Pearce b 17 Nov 1656, Portsmouth, Newport, RI.
- James Pearce b 6 Dec 1658, Portsmouth, Newport, RI.
- Unknown Pearce b 7 Jul 1661, Portsmouth, Newport, RI.
- George Pearce b 10 Jul 1662, Portsmouth, Newport, RI, d Sep 1752, Little Compton, Newport, RI; md  Alice Hart 7 Apr 1687, Little Compton, Newport, RI, and  Temperance Kirby 22 Mar 1721, Little Compton, Newport, RI.
- William Pearce b 22 Dec 1664, Portsmouth, Newport, RI.
a. The will of Richard Pearce:
To all Christian people whome these presents may concerne Know yee that I Richard Pearce through the mercye of God being perfect in mind and memory but not well in bodye For the preventing further trouble amongst my children make this my last will and Testament as followeth
Imprimis. I do will and bequeath unto my eldest sonne Richard Pearce my now dwelling House and land and fencing, orchard and swamps, house and out houses with all appurtenances thereunto belonging, I also give unto my eledest son Richard one pair of Oxen with a cart and wheels, with the bed and bedding that I myself lodge in with the Plough and tackeling thereunto belonging, with all the goods and Furniture belonging to the said house whatsoever.
My will is to give unto my sonn John Pearce, one shilling in silver and unto my sonn Giles Pearce one shilling in silver and unto my sonn William Pearce one shilling in silver and unto my sonn James Pearce one shilling in silver and unto my sonn George Pearce one shilling in silver and unto my sonn Jeremiah Pearce one shilling in silver and unto my foure daughters one shilling apeece in silver, to be paid within six months after my decease if demanded by the elder of them and unto the younger when they come to full age according to law. Also my will is that my sonn Richard take care, and sec this my will performed and him I doe ordaine constitute and make my whole and sole executor to see this my will in all things performed and fulfilled according to the true interest and meaning of the same.
In witness thereunto I have set to my hand this two and
twenty daye of April in the year of our lord God, one
thousand six hundred and seventy-seven.
Signed and sealed
in presence of
of Elizabeth Heath
LCF: [Vol II:466]; GL: English Origins of New England Families, 1500s-1800s, Series 2, Vol. 3, Parentage of Susannah Wright, Wife of Richard Pearce of Portsmouth, RI, pp 881-887; Pearce Genealogy, by Frederick C. Pierce, 1888, p 38.
Return to TOP of this page
Return to INDEX FOR PEARCE
Return to MAIN INDEX
Return to HOME